Hell Razah - Heaven Razah (Review)

Hell Razah - Heaven Razah (front cover)

Hell Razah is easily one of my top emcee's. He has been around for quite some time, as a member of the Wu-Fam group Sunz of Man and as a solo artist. He dropped two very dope albums back in 2007 (Renaissance Child and Razah's Ladder) before returning with Heaven Razah in 2010. Unfortunately, Hell Razah suffered a brain aneurysm back in 2010 (I believe it was right before this album came out) and has been recovering ever since. In a recent interview over at TheColi.com, Killah Priest mentioned that he had spoken to Razah and that he was doing much better. I sure hope so, since I'd love to hear some more music from him.


1) The Arrival - The album starts out with a looped vocal sample by Dev 1 that seems like its going to be a skit, but then Hell Razah comes in and destroys it. The beat is beautiful and Hell Razah comes hard. Great way to start the album.

2) Negro Angelitos - This time Dev 1 brings a more upbeat instrumental for Hell Razah to bless. The lyrics on here are top notch and the beat will get your head nodding. Not the best track on here, but not bad.

3) Book of Heaven Razah - Produced by Rainmayqah, this is one of my favorite songs on the album. The sample is dope and Hell Razah flows effortlessly over it while dropping jewels:
"Let's take it back when the angels landed
All Earth was the seventh planet
Before Moses saw the Ten Commandments
I'm in a stance like a praying mantis
When my brain enhances it take my mind state into Atlantis
From the steps out my projects, Reader's Digest
The sun sets over Planet X"
4) Medical Kush - The beat, a Bronze Nazareth and Kevlaar 7 collaboration, its quite different. Its a bit slow and dark, but I'm not feeling it as much as the other beats on the album so far. Hell Razah sounds good over it though. Not a standout track for me.

5) Raised In Hell - The Mathematics instrumental on here is full of energy and Hell Razah brings it. Very solid track after the lackluster previous song. I like this.

6) Fear of God - Produced by Godz Wrath, the beat on here is insane. I'm not even sure how to describe it besides DOPE. Sunz of Man need to come back with a reunion album completely produced by Godz Wrath. Another one of my favorite songs on the album.

7) Cinematic - This is the only 4th Disciple production on the album and the beat is nice. Hell Razah keeps with the title of the song and incorporates a bunch of film titles into the story. Nice.

8) Return of the Renaissance (featuring R.A. the Rugged Man) - This was one of the singles from the album. The instrumental is upbeat and both emcees bring it, but R.A. the Rugged Man's verse is the highlight of this song.

9) Kids In The Street - Ayatollah laces the beat, which incorporates a vocal sample and some piano keys. This is a story track and Hell Razah sounds good on it. Not my favorite on here, but far from wack.

10) A Brooklyn Tale (featuring Shabazz The Disciple) - Produced by Shroom (not sure who that is), the beat starts out quite soulful and then gets a bit darker. This is another street story track. Hell Razah and Shabazz have good chemistry and actually have their own group album Welcome To Red Hook Houses under the group name T.H.U.G. Angelz.

11) Selah - Produced by St. Peter, this is another one of my favorite songs on the album. The beat is real laid back and Hell Razahs lyrics are flames:
"But I'm the old serpent dragon slayer
Spitting lasers at space invaders
Keep an eye out for Tomb Raiders
We cry out to the true Savior
Another victim in the newspaper
I wonder why when the baby cry
Is his visions of the Most High?
Or is there Archangels close by?
12 Tribes be the lost bride
Until then she's a black widow
A young mother starring out a window
On a soft pillow, more tears
Dear Lord you're the one I fear
I say it loud and clear"
12) Dear Lord - This is the first Dev 1 appearance since the second track. The beat is a nice soul sample and Hell Razah tells another story. This track is ok, but not a standout.

13) My Testimony (featuring Darnell McClain) - I'm not really feeling the chorus by Darnell McClain, but the beat by Blastah Beatz is really good and Hell Razah destroys it. Even with the chorus, this is still a banger.

14) Heaven On Earth (featuring Timbo King and Darnell McClain) - The beat on here, provided by Blastah Beatz, is a dope soul sample. Its not as good as the previous track, but its still pretty good. Darnell McClain sounds much better on here and both emcee's come correct. I was hoping Razah and Timbo King would have bodied a Wu-Banger on here, but this isn't it.

15) Armageddon / Araboth - This is a two part song for some reason. The first part, Armageddon, is produced by Havoc (of Mobb Deep) and has some crazy piano keys looped over a layer of strings. I really like this beat and Hell Razah sounds great over it. The second part, Araboth, has a laid back beat by Dev 1 and Hell Razah bodies it. He gets real personal on here, explaining his past and his influences. Both songs are dope and are a great way to end the album.

So that concludes the review for Hell Razahs Heaven Razah album. I'm going to rate the album a

4 / 5

since there are a couple lackluster beats and too many story tracks. Don't get me wrong, I love a good story track, but there are a few too many on here for my taste. Hell Razah's lyrics never disappoint and he brings it heavy on here. I just wish the beats were as dope as the lyrics. Most of them are, but not enough to give that album that classic rating. Despite this, I highly recommend this album for any fan of Hell Razah's previous work, as well as any hip-hop fan in general.

0 comments:

Post a Comment